Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Knick Knack

Patty Whack, give the dog a bone.

Sorry, I digress.

The basement clean up continues...
Mom had some old dishes in the basement and we took turns going through and choosing treasures. Mom kept trying to put things in the garbage. We had to tell her NO! these are treasures.
Mom had a nice collection of china tea cup and saucers. She had given us some earlier and so there were just a few left. I suggested each granddaughter might like to have one, so Hana, Katie and Jenna each have a tea cup. As we took turns, I ended up with this yellow and blue one. Mom also had a nice collection of glass refrigerator containers. We all got one or more of those. I loved the gold. I explained to Max that these were like the first tupperware type containers.

This painting was one of my first choices, love the colors. It was in the house when my folks bought it. Someone wrote in pencil on the back that it is in Lewis County, Washington.

The mortar and pestle is from when Mom worked at McLain's Drug Store. She worked in the soda fountain and then part time as she had kids and then later as the bookkeeper. I have wonderful memories of the store. Sitting at the fountain having ice cream, visiting her after school, even helping to stuff bills every month. It was my number one pick!
And, I think it will come in handy for making mojitos!

4 comments:

jkluginbill said...

At first I read 'beekeeper'...went back in reread...everything is fine now! :)

Nice treasures and even an R! Very cool! :)

Holly said...

Such fun treasures! This has been the month of memories for you!!! It's fun seeing what each of you sisters pick out! Love it!!!

Janice said...

Count me in on the Mojitos!! I remember when your mom worked at McLains. Tea cups are great - just make sure you all use them. When my Grandma gave me hers, she made me promise to use them and let Emily use them!

Mindy K said...

Tami,
If you click on your mohito maker to make the picture big, I can see you in the gold ball with quite a photographers "stance". You are too cute!