Thursday, April 30, 2009

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Sing it with me. Never mind.

At our house on Cherry Street I planted a moonlight garden. In a moonlight garden, all of the flowers are white so you can see them by the light of the moon. I loved that little garden, I could see it from my kitchen and from the patio. I don't really have one here at the Stone House. My shade garden is mostly white with some pinks. It doesn't count. I've been thinking about my moon garden lately and don't really have a good spot.

So, I made an executive decision this week and my moon light garden will be on the patio this year. I started filling my containers with plants today. I use annuals and perennials in my containers. It's more cost effective if there is something in the pot to begin with, maybe a shrub or some hostas or a heuchera. There was some winter kill in my containers and some things had gotten too big for their pot. Lots of moving around, adding basket stuffers, changing potting soil and fertilizing. It felt good to be in the sunshine, thinking about evenings on the moonlit patio.


I used plants with names like Dolce Mocha Mint, White Nancy, Tango White, Paper Moon, Calypso White and Trailing White.

I replaced some winter kill with this topiary, which I found at the farm store where Sam works.

Earlier this week I trimmed the hedge around the patio. Remember last year, time flies and I needed to do it again. This year we were smart and remembered after Christmas that we wanted to use net lights on all the patio hedges. I picked them up half off after Christmas. I was a bit leery of them looking too contrived but if you trim, install, wait a week or two, the hedges start growing and it looks good.

Some patio lanterns, white blooms, a cool drink and my Hubby on the patio in the evening, can't wait!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi! You don't know me but I read your blog. I am a friend of Jerrie's and I was surprised to see you write about a house on Cherry Street. Was that in Lynden? Just curious because I live on Cherry Street!

I enjoy reading your blog!

Kelly said...

Always my source of inspiration. That sounds wonderful.
Thanks again for the fabulous dinner. Everything was perfect and we weren't even home yet before my kids asked if we could go there again sometime. Thank Max for the delightful converstation starters he shared with my kids that have made great ongoing discussion around the Ellis home. :) Daggers, snakes to name a few. He has a forever friend. Riley is in awe.

Hannah said...

I love white flowers. I did all white one year at our old house. It was my favorite I had ever done there. Might have to try it again next year. Thanks for the great ideas!

Shelly said...

If every seed I've planted germinates...we're gonna have a whoooole lotta flowers! You may want to schedule church flowers for sometime this summer ;)
Oh yeah..there will be a few veggies too..hehe.

Mindy K said...

After Clarice passed away I jerked out a whole flower bed and replaced it with all white flowers. Her favorite. I think Clarice would have loved to sit with you on your moon lit patio.
In fact, I believe Clarice would have loved your blog.

Janice said...

What a cool thought - the lights!! I love twinkling little lights year round too!!