Saturday, April 25, 2009

Love Joes


I am surprised by how many people tell me they don't shop at Trader Joe's, some haven't even been to Trader Joe's. Yes, I was one of those crazy shoppers on the first day Joes opened in Bellingham.

So, today a Joe's tutorial.

Nothing says summer like a glass of Prosecco on the patio. And only $4.99 a bottle. I'll try it.

Some of my 'every time I go to joes' items, including frozen mangos and protein for my breakfast smoothie. Garlic fries, mandarin orange chicken, buttermilk, dried cranberries, frozen vegetables, shampoo, my favorite lemon seltzer, flax seed, peppered salami are just some of our favorites. Nuts too. Pesto too. I should have done this post as a a series because I have a lot to say about Joe's. Hash brown patties, Sam would have withdrawals if I ran out. We don't like Joe's chips, just too stinkin' healthy for us.


Hubby and I have a foolproof way of choosing wines at Joes. if you are a wine snob, scroll down, close your eyes and pretend you never saw this information....
We look for empty shelves. Simple, efficient and fairly effective. If everyone else is buying it, the wine must be good. Also, a pretty label helps. This one just needs a pretty green ribbon and insto facto, hostess gift. Call me to invite me for dinner, we'll try it out.

Every visit to Joes should include a new item. I chose the juice today because it looked refreshing, healthy and summer is coming. And it might be a good mixer. My other item is a marinade for pork or chicken. Another Joe's hint is to talk to the other shoppers. I was reading the label and the 'joe's note' which stated, "this sauce is wicked good" when another shopper told me how much she loves this sauce. Her and her Mom had a recipe, quite detailed that they used, then tried Island Soyaki. She told me it was the same thing without all the work. Yay! Love easy with summer coming.

The flowers are a lot of bang for the buck. I bought one all white and a large bunch of tulips for a decent size bouquet. I have church flowers tomorrow. Perfect.


Go to Joes, be adventurous, come home with some new good eats. And bring your own bags so you'll be entered in their contest and Be GrEeN!

5 comments:

jkluginbill said...

I love Joes...First day shopper myself (with a 2 year old in tow who wasn't even my own)...

I think I have done several posts on my Joe's favorites b/c as I try new things I have new favorites. Right now the no-cook lasagna noodles. LOVE THEM! A LOT! and don't get Archer started on the frozen food section (he is a frozen food snob!).

Happy (beautiful) Saturday! Enjoy!

Janice said...

I love Jo's too! I love the price of the chicken broth, swiss cheese, cereals........Emily loves the chocolate truffles,& of course I get the orange chicken! Have you ever bought the cute little tin of toffee and coffee beans dipped in Choc. - to die for - very addicting! Cute little gift to give someone when they need a smile!

Eloise said...

I wish we had a Trader Joe's! Would you mention to your friends there how deprived we are here in Texas? :)

Mindy K said...

I recently discovered Joe's. Love the flowers. The frozen prawns I bought there once were over the top great! Also love the tastey samples.

Becky L. Beck said...

You did it!! Yeah! I love it! I have both the people I work with going now. And we LOVE sharing our finds from there. A patient came in and got in on the conversation and she too shared a product I hadn't tried yet. We make a pack to try one new thing each time we go. FUN!