Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Matrimony

I like Liz and her blog, so when she recommended a book I ordered it from the library. She even had a give away for Matrimony by Joshua Henkin. The give away is over but you could get the book from your local library or here at Amazon.

I finished the book last night. The difference between Liz and I is that she is a writer and I think that is why she loved this book so much. Liz loved the character Julian and I finished the book feeling like I didn't know Julian as well as I would have liked to. I do have a broader appreciation for writers after reading Matrimony and I still would like to be one when I grow up. Writing is hard work and writers have different methods. Julian crafted each sentence perfectly before going on with his story, some writers get the story written and then go back and rewrite the sentences. That made me wonder what kind of writer I would be. It also made me wonder if Julian would have been a different person if he had just written the story and then tweaked it.

Overall, a good read. Not five stars for me but it might be for you and I'd give it 3.5.

1 comment:

Janice said...

You're so well-read! I'm an easy read person - nothing too deep, nice and sappy! That's the way I like them!!