Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Baking


Thunk! My mixer was a tad top heavy.

The topping is usually more crumbly, I oversoftened (is that a word?) the butter. Still good.

Apple Bread
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
4 T. milk
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
4 c. chopped apples
2 tsp. vanilla
Topping:
4 T. butter
6 T.sugar
6 T. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
Cream butter, sugar & eggs. Add remaining ingredients. Mix & pour into 2 large greased loaf pans. Combine topping ingredients & sprinkle on loaves before baking. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, then 300 degrees for 40+ minutes.
*I choose bread recipes that make two loaves, the oven is on for an hour anyway and it is nice to have a loaf in the freezer or to share with a friend.

I got this recipe from a school cookbook, the best part is that it was submitted by my Great Aunt Gertrude.
I've had a morning or two since baking the apple bread that I forget I have a protein shake for breakfast and I go right for the apple bread.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Looks awesome Tammy! I was just thinking about what I would make for Stamp Club on Thurs. night - I think I just figured that out! YUM!

Liz Harrell said...

I could eat that every single day. That has to be the best looking apple bread I've ever seen! I may get brave enough to try it. :)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

So glad you are participating in our Need To Knead Bread Roundup.

How nice that you have your Great Aunt's recipe and that it was printed in a school cookbook too. Family heirloom recipes are just so awesome to have and make. :-)

October is National Apple Month by the way.

Joy
http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2008/10/need-to-knead-bread-roundup_15.html

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome bread, one which I want to make, right away.