Monday, April 21, 2008

Banana Bread Cranked Up


I baked banana bread today. This recipe has several things going for it.
A-I got it out of my church cookbook, it came from a good cook.
B-It makes two loaves, if you have the oven on, make it worthwhile.
C-It has buttermilk in it. I love recipes with buttermilk- how they taste that is. If I don't have it in the house oooh I am cranky but if I do I think buttermilk takes many recipes to a whole new level. I used fresh buttermilk today but it is a good idea to have buttermilk powder in the house for those times when you need to make banana bread, brownies, or cakes that call for buttermilk. It works in a pinch and it is better than having to run to the store. Ya-da, ya-da lady, give us the recipe. Okay...


I can never leave well enough alone so I took the banana bread to another level by adding two ingredients- chocolate chips and maraschino cherries. My Mom did this when I was a kid and I loved it. I mentioned this to my guys and they were irritated that I would mess with a good thing. So, I did one loaf with and one without. They will try it and like it, but perish the thought of a new banana bread recipe. Tried and true for my guys. Thank you very much!
There are not many recipes that I can leave well enough alone. I like to tweak things. Hope it works!
Guessed on the measurements- 1/2 cup + chocolate chips and 12-15 cherries chopped and drained well. Added to half the batter. Notice I toss my chips with a bit of flour so they don't stick.

Banana Bread
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter
2 eggs
Cream together, beat well.
Add: 3 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix well and add 3 mashed bananas. Optional 1 C. chopped nuts(my guys don't like nuts in baked goods)
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.

Well. Mmmm goood. This is not really something that someone on an 'eat less-move more' should have in their home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMM! Looks good! I hate to tell you this but I heard that banana's are gonna go WAY up in price.
Yep-thats right it's the last of the cheap snacks.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

jkluginbill said...

Oh that looks so good. I could go for some banana bread right now. Yum! And I LOVE chocolate chips :)!

Archer picked up a good dessert at TJs yesterday. (it has a few calories/fat grams, but what the hey...). He noticed when he got it home it was gluten free...He said "what? I think I like gluten..." Odd child!

Shelly said...

I love banana bread
I love chocolate chips
I love marachino cherries
I love my friend Tami
Can I come over?

Anonymous said...

yummy in my tummy!
mmmhmmmm....
=D

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I love to crank up recipes too. Great ingredient combination.

Tami, feel free to link this recipe to our Need To Knead Bread Roundup too even though it is a bit older. We don't mind. The more recipes, the merrier. ;-)

Joy
Need To Knead Bread Roundup