Friday, October 24, 2008

Cream of Wild Rice Soup

I keep these groceries in my pantry so I can make this easy soup any time.

Cream of Wild Rice Soup
1/4 c. butter
1 onion, chopped
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, shredded or chopped
1/2 c. flour
6-8 c. chicken broth
6.2 oz. pkg. long-grain and wild rice mix, cooked
1 c. cooked chicken breast, cubed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. evaporated milk
1/4 c. fresh chives (I have substituted dried chives and stirred them into the soup)
Melt butter in a large saucepan, **I use a fry pan because my soup is going to end up in the crockpot.
Add onion, celery, carrot; cook until tender. Stir in flour until blended; (this is a roux and not difficult, just work quickly) and then gradually add broth. Hey Coach K! If you can make a glaze or gravy, you can make a roux.


**At this point I add the broth and thicken and then add everything to my crockpot. I leave it on low all day and it is creamy and delicious.
If you use a large saucepan stir in cooked rice, chicken, seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in milk and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.

5 comments:

Eloise said...

That looks delicious! Our weather is turning cooler, and my husband LOVES soup. Maybe I'll make some this weekend. I like how easy it will be to have the ingredients on hand in the future.

Anonymous said...

This one goes right into my file. I'm a wild rice fan and an easy recipe fan. Life couldn't be better.

Eloise said...

Yum! I am enjoying a bowl of your cream of wild rice soup right now. It was very easy and it's quite delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Janice said...

I made this soup - very last minute Sat. night because a couple was coming by(I happened to have crusty bread rising), and this was AWESOME!!! I didn't even have any carrots becuase I thought I had some when I went to the grocery store......but when I got home....anyways, this ones a keeper! As Rachael Ray would say YUM-O!

Becky L. Beck said...

Hi my friend,
Just wanted to say: Thanks for the recipe... I'm checking out your blog... YEAH> ARen't you so proud of me. HURRY.... please I can't wait to see our weekend pictures... just b/c you had bootcamp today is NO excuse...
Love ya,