Monday, September 1, 2008

Sorry, I've Been Away, Crying My Eyes Out

I had a horse while growing up and I always hoped I would have a horse kid. Max was my guy. He wanted a horse so badly when he was little. He wore cowboy boots year round and rode his stick horse until we had to put it down(the stick broke). When we moved to the Stone House Max bought Little Bit. Little Bit has been a great kid horse for Max. And a good horse for me too. I loved to look out my window and see Little Bit in his pasture, I like to ride and I love to just brush Little Bit and hang out together. I always called to him as I came home from work and told him that he is a good horse.
Max would come home from school , saddle up and ride. He even looked like a cowboy. Neighbor kids would come by to ride.

This Spring Max rode and I ran to get in shape for Hawaii. I could tell Max was getting too tall for Little Bit. We had a lot of fun this Spring, Little Bit never liked me to pass him. Hey, any horse with self respect wouldn't want me to pass him.
I like to go out and groom Little Bit.

Max wanted a sleigh and I found one and surprised him with it. These pictures are with a loaner harness but we bought Max a beautiful harness with red trim for Christmas one year. Little Bit looks so sharp with the red sleigh, out in the snow. Max trained him and when the snow was right we'd hitch up and have some fun.


This Summer Max started talking about selling Little Bit. He was too tall, he wanted to raise some heifers for his college fund, football and high school are keeping him busy. Max is right. I KNOW all of these reasons are right and that Max gave it a lot of thought but I have had a terrible time with his decision. I can not stop crying, really. I love Little Bit and I know it is the end of some special times that Max and I have shared.
One day I was in Target shopping and Max called me on my cell. He had called my cousin Rick to help him put a price on Little Bit. At that point I was crying any time the subject came up and so on the cleaning product aisle in Target I was tearing up. I told Max not to call me about this but to talk with me when I was at home next to a kleenex box. People can really stare at a bawling woman in the cleaning aisle at Target. Anyway, Rick was interested in Little Bit for his daughter Abby. Now, Abby is one of my favorite kids to run into. She sparkles! Really, her face lights up, her freckles are darling and she is just spunky and happy. Perfect new owner for Little Bit! She and her Dad came today, rode Little Bit and bought him. Little Bit will be loved, ridden by a little girl whose hair matches his mane. We can visit. It is all turning out great but I just can't stop crying...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good bye cowboy Max! It's just not cool anymore....Sigh. Have fun Abby!

Shelly said...

I have some aligator tears for ya, but Lil Bit is going to a really good home and I'm sure they would love for you to come and visit - I'll bet they will even let you brush him.

Anonymous said...

I so happy for Cowgirl Abby and Lil' Bit....there is no better home for a horse! I'm also proud of Max for making a mature, but difficult, decision.....it's been a great ride. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great story, with a happy ending too! I know it's hard to let our kids and their pets go off to new adventures (except in my case when the pets are snakes-I don't need to visit them!).

Eloise said...

I'm so glad this story had a happy ending. I was just about in tears myself when you got the call in Target!

The picture of the stone cottage in the snow with Max and Li'l Bit and the sleigh is unbelievable. It looks like an old-fashioned Christmas card!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Mindy told me all about Li'l Bit and how excited and happy Abby is! I feel for you though, they (horses) are so lovable and so easy to become attached to. At noon I went home, and my gelding ran to meet me and just wanted to say "hello". I'm glad he's going to someone you know and can visit! You couldn't have a more perfect fit!