
Since I don't get up at dawn and make a fat boy breakfast for my guys every morning, we enjoy breakfast for dinner. This is an easy dinner made easier by my two picks. Drumroll...facon, it is really bacon that has been fully cooked by someone other than yours truly. My guys call it facon, fake bacon. I call it a lifesaver. I buy the big pack at Costco and for nights when I am going to whip up breakfast it is 40 seconds in the microwave. Remember the perfume ad, 'I can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan. Hey, if you're helping to bring home the bacon, get facon. It is also good for topping baked potatoes, BLTs, and my personal favorite, corn chowder. The second timesaver is the Swedish pancake mix from Trader Joe, my friend Anna Greta, from Sweden would likely be appalled but we like it. My guys use butter and sugar, roll them up and eat'em up fast.

Next week I will share my corn chowder recipe using the 'facon'. My corn chowder recipe is from this cookbook. My Grandma Dykstra got this book free with Prell shampoo. My Mom has one and I got the extra copy. If you see this book at a thrift store, grab it and buy it. I make many recipes from this book, including corn chowder, shortcake, rhubarb cobbler, pizza bread and more. It is a keeper. And I like to imagine my Grandma getting it with her groceries and taking it home and trying some of the recipes. She never drove so Grandpa took her to town on Friday mornings. Sometimes I got to go along. Good memories.
3 comments:
Breakfast for dinner is the best. I do it all the time.
I just love older cookbooks!
Well, that looks interesting. There's no tofu or soy chunks in the facon, right? I might have to try that. And I'll keep an eye out for that cookbook when I'm thrifting... :)
~julie
No soy or tofu for my guys! Yikes! That would send them over the edge.
Post a Comment