Thursday, July 31, 2008

Muffins or Muffin Top

Several days ago, Liz over at Mabel's House (whose blog I've browsed and she has since added me to her sidebar so I added her to mine- Don't you just love the friendly blog world?) posted about baking Blueberry Muffins with her MeMe. Ever since I saw the blueberries on my bike ride and then her post I have been obsessing about these muffins. I've had this recipe for years and many friends and family probably remember coming to my place to spend the night and then having these muffins in the morning. They are easy and the recipe uses ingredients that I always have in the house. I freeze blueberries in one cup measurements just for this purpose. They are good for breakfast, coffee time or my guys like them with corn chowder on a cold winter's night. Enjoy!




Blueberry Muffins
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder (A museum volunteer who leads second grade pioneer workshops and bakes biscuits with the kids, always shakes the can before measuring to get the baking powder active. Not sure if it helps but now I do it and you can too.)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg-beaten
1/4 cup butter melted (I do this first and set aside)
1 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
1 T. sugar
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the egg, melted and cooled butter and milk in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and mix lightly. Batter will be lumpy. Fold in the blueberries. Mine are usually still frozen, but washed. Blueberries should not be washed before you freeze them. My hubby likes to go the local U-pick field with me. Really. It's fun. Spoon into a muffin tin and sprinkle with sugar. I use a heaped levered scoop to fill the tin and it comes out just right.
Bake 375-400 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. This is pretty vague, so today I set it for 375 and 20 minutes and then kept resetting for one more minute until at 25 minutes they were perfect. Just for my readers. You're welcome.
I took a photo for the blog and two seconds later Max asked if those muffins on the plate were for him. Um, sure. I'm really on the Eat Less, Move More program, so go ahead Max. He loved them, especially the crispy sugar on top.
*Edited- I just heard Sam come in the back door and say, "Ohhhh muffins."

5 comments:

Eloise said...

Your blueberry muffins looks wonderful as does your blog! I came over here from Mabel's House and am enjoying looking around. You have a beautiful home and family.

Liz Harrell said...

Oh wow.... yours look fanastic! Much fluffier than mine... delicious. Now I'm so hungry.. and the vending machine across the hall seems grosser than ever. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember eating these when I stayed overnight at Aunt Doris' house.....I will be giving these a try next week during my vacation at home. :)

Shelly said...

Love the crunchy sugar-top. I do that on banana bread...you're making me want to bake!

Core4 said...

These look YUMMY. I'm feeling a craving coming on.... I'll be making these, and will eat them. For the baby. Keep the recipes coming! I've made everything you've posted, and love it!