Monday, January 27, 2014

I Love my Mountain

 On Saturday Hubby and I went with Mark and Karen snowshoeing at Mt. Baker.  We found some snow but it is definitely low this year.  The parking lot was asphalt and gravel, which I've not ever seen in the Winter.  Once we got on the trail though there was snow and sunshine.  One of my favorite combinations.
After a tailgate lunch and some serious Vitamin D we decided to take a drive to the upper lodge and then to the snow park.
At the snow park we saw the best hoar frost or frost flowers I've ever see.  It was coming out of clumps of snow, the ground and the road.
 Definition: Hoar frost is an arrangement of ice crystals on objects on the surface of Earth. The appearance of hoar frost results from the sublimation of water vapor into ice.
When the temperature of items on the ground are below freezing, condensation of water vapor can occur. Similar to the formation of dew, moist air will be cooled when it comes in contact with the cold surfaces. The air will quickly reach the dew point temperature, which, in this case, is below freezing. The water vapor will then convert directly into ice and leave needle-like coatings of hoar frost on various objects including grass, trees, telephone wires, and more.
 My iphone pictures don't do it justice.  Really it was some of the prettiest jewels I've ever seen.  Sparkly, crystal diamonds in the snow.  A stunning garden of frost flowers.  Yay God!
We stopped at Chair 9 for an early dinner and then drove home, taking the long way.  It was such a beautiful day we couldn't resist.  Then home and a flop on the sofa for the evening.
Good stuff.

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

I've never seen frost flowers! So beautiful!

What a great day you had!