Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tinsel Town

This spring Hubby and I went to an estate sale.  I found many shiney brites and a box of tinsel.  The box of tinsel made me squeal.  It was in its original package and it is heavy weight. One piece has the weight of a locket's chain.  The tinsel in the stores today is so light weight and it's plastic.  Not. The. Same.
 I remember having tinsel on the tree when I grew up.  My Mom reused her tinsel.  Every year she would painstakingly put it on the tree and then after Christmas she took it back off to use the next year.  Mom stored her tinsel in between the pages of our church's magazine, the Banner.
 Today I started to hang the tinsel, one piece at a time, and was reminded how happy it makes me.  It's like therapy in the busy season.  It isn't rocket science and it has to be done slowly.
 When we were single my sister, Kathi and I had tinsel on our trees in Iowa.  Then I got married and thankfully Hubby is a tinsel guy.  Just one of the many things that made me fall in love with him and made him Mr. Right.  Kathi, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky, her guy hates tinsel.  Not good.  They're still married but I feel bad for her as I'm hanging the tinsel.  Because the best part of tinsel is coming...
 Pour yourself a glass of wine, blur your eyes just a bit, have one of your kids run past the tree to create a breeze and enjoy the season.  Come on over anytime, Kathi.  There's room on the couch and it's still amazing!

8 comments:

Holly said...

Thank goodness for memories!!! Don't they just get better and better the older we get? I hope Kathi comes over to relive them with you. Sisters are good at that.

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

Very pretty! I would have bought that tinsel just for that fabulous box!

Love the vintage shiny brites too...

~Chris

Les Hon said...

Beautiful tinsel...and I love the box too. You are right -- we tried to recreate the tinsel tree of Randy's youth, but the plastic stuff just doesn't cut it...

I like the idea of wind creation for your viewing pleasure. :)

And I really enjoyed this post!

Janice said...

Looks classy as usual - you just know how to do it!! Poor Kathi - hope she takes you up on the glass of wine and viewing party! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite -I'll be over. We could run past the tree for eachother to help burn off the wine we are consuming.
Beautiful tree!!!!
Sister Kathi

Anonymous said...

In my defense as your BIL, I have the following points:
1. I have much photographic proof that my childhood Christmas' were covered in real old fashion tinsel. I loved it then and love it now.
2. From my first Christmas since I have been married to your sister, I have not been allowed near the tree except to cut it down and put it in the stand. All decorations are hers and hers alone. Love ys SIL

Tami said...

UHMmmm BIL, my sis hasn't had tinsel her whole married life. I remember you saying, no tinsel. Just sayin'

Becky said...

Omgosh! You have made all of us here in MO LOL with this post and all the comments just made it that much better. Troy says: Tami needs to write a book. I informed him that you would be soon publishing a years worth of your blogs; he still feels there is more potential. Love the visual of tinsel watching.