Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Feeling Kitschy

Memorial Day and nostalgia go together. I had a stack of quilt squares from Quilt Sandwich, I had pineapple rings and maraschino cherries in the pantry. And I was feeling *kitschy.

I had been wanting to try PW's recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Jerrie told me it was easy and delicious. My grandma made pineapple upside down cake except she quite often used peaches instead of pineapple. She canned peaches and was pretty frugal. She served it with whipped cream from their Jersey cows.

PW says the cherries make the cake kitschy. I think baking in a skillet and the fresh whipped cream help too.


Since I had the kitschy fabric and a use for yoyo's I got busy making them. I hadn't made yoyo's since junior high. Just need to stitch a few more and then sew everything together. Yoyo's are kitschy and good, mindless entertainment on a rainy weekend. My sewing basket and thread are from my Grandma.

*Kitschy- adj. something tacky, over done, excessive sentimentality often is associated with the term.

Uhmmm, no hon, feeling kitschy doesn't mean that.

3 comments:

michele said...

This post is soo fun!! That pineapple upside down cake looks delish!

Holly said...

LOve the yo yo's!!!! You always get so much accomplished!!! Wish I could say the same!

Praying the presentation goes well!

Janice said...

watcha doin with the yo yos?? I've never made them, but I've seen them everywhere lately.