Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Back in My Day...

I received a glossy, pretty catalog from Target this week. Everything the college student needs to move into the dorm was in that catalog. Rooms with names such as, Dreamer, Clotheshorse, Minimalist, Morning Bird, Night Owl, Planner and Extrovert. Really pretty bedding, great storage units and doo dahs galore. Made me want to go back to college just to decorate the dorm and have everything brand spankin' new.


This quilt is what I took to Dordt College 31 years ago. I sewed it in my Home Ec III class when I was a senior in high school. I also took a hot pot (not pot, like drugs, but rather an electric pot to boil water for hot cocoa in my dorm room). I packed up my fitted sheet, quilt, hot pot, the three towels I got for graduation gifts, family photos, a few school supplies and headed out to college. When I got there I went behind the grocery store and "borrowed" milk crates for a storage system.
The glossy catalog also had every electronic gadget you could dream of owning. We had one tv in the dorm basement, no tv's were allowed in our rooms.
Good grief!
*Please note that I realize this post makes me sound old, but times have sure changed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my Wells Blue Bunny milk crates...nothin' wrong with them, very sturdy.

At Northwestern, we were allowed to have a TV in our dorm room...things sure changed in the next decade. :) We didn't miss an episode of "Days of Our Lives".

We are so old!

jkluginbill said...

Do you think I could do the dorm look as a design scheme in my bedroom? I think it may work. It may be more like a military/book-worm theme...I am thinking about it...

I will keep you updated.

I love the pics. I could live with that. Maybe not quite so many gadgets though.

Shelly said...

I hear there is a round-up of milk crate thieves in the midwest...good thing you're covered by the statute of limitations.

Liz Harrell said...

Amen to this! I had country blue milk crate shelves (that sagged) and hand-me down bedding. Sheeze, these 'dorm rooms' are nicer than my house. :)

Thanks for the comment on my pink bathroom,I really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

yea yea...we have heard the starving college student thing before....