Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Late to the Game


I BEGGED Max to play soccer this Spring. He had played for years. Nope. He was having none of it.

So, he goes to the first game as a spectator and comes home wanting to play, wishing he had played. I told him to ask Coach De Ruiter. A part of me (the big mean part) was wishing and hoping Max would learn a lesson. That Coach would tell him, "NO way, you're too late, you should have listened to your Mom, maybe next year, good bye!"

No lesson there. Coach told Max, "Great, we'd love to have you, excited to have you, blah, blah, blah, get some cleats and start tomorrow!" Grrrrr.

Max has to get in a number of practices before he may play in a game. Last night he got his team bag with uniforms and warm up suit inside.

He may have learned his lesson! He got the last of the gear. The gear that some stinky boy turned in last year without washing.
"Mom, I need help, this is terrible, can you wash it, can you make this better?", Max sobbed.

Maybe now Max has learned Mom is always right and he needs me to help make decisions.

Max is loving the soccer. We are happy for him. I hope he has a good season. He says it feels good. Max comes home happy every night. Nice.

Now I get to go to Bender soccer fields and freeze my bum off and wash smelly gear.
No hard feeling here.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Of course you were right!! Always are! They will learn that eventually!! Hope you haven't packed your long johns away yet - brrrr!

jkluginbill said...

oh it'll happen again. Max just likes to make mom 'grrrr...'

Anonymous said...

Just experiance the Bender fields windy cold on Fri/Sat for Lacrosse - good thing we have hot tubs for post game warm up.
Have a great season MAX!
Kathi