Monday, January 4, 2010

God's Grace


I carry a small notebook with me in my purse. Today I cleaned out my night stand and found several of the full notebooks. In these notebooks there are To Do lists, honey do lists, budgets and bills, days and days of every bite I've taken with calories recorded, grocery lists, mall lists, museum hours, Spring garden thoughts, Bible verses, prayers, walking for exercise charts, Christmas card lists, Christmas gift ideas, clothing sizes for the guys and GOALS.

Goals or resolutions, not just for January, painstakingly written by me, several times a year. Over and over.

As I went through these notebooks I realized that I'm a busy woman, my life revolves around family and friends. I am blessed over and over. God is good. The lists get finished.

But the goals are basically the same every time I write them and they are not completed.
*Devotions- morning and night.
*Pray more.
*Be a better wife and mom.
*Lose weight.
*Stay under 1500 calories a day.
*Exercise, walk, move more.
*Don't go through life on auto-pilot. Think about it!
*Daily vitamins.
*Regular doctor and dentist appointments.
*Be kind.
*Think before I open my BiG mouth.
*Spend less, work more, give more.
*Be accountable.
*And I had several notes reminding me to find a book, Before You Put That On by Lloyd Boston. Maybe I'll just try to do that in 2010... and call it good.

I guess I just realized I am living the mantra 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.' Or more likely, There but for the Grace of God go I.

7 comments:

jkluginbill said...

I love my notebooks and the many lists they contain. I think that you DO all those things, you just want to be better, be more which is wonderful and admirable - wanting to become a better person and recognizing what may be slipping.

I love going into the museum and seeing you with your notebook out. I just broke in a new one.

Happy 2010!

book recommendation (if you haven't read it) - Her Fearful Symmetry...I enjoyed it! :)

Les Hon said...

Ah! A kindred spirit notebook person...More and more mine becomes my "brain in a book" so I can remember stuff...but I agree with you on the other functions it also serves...and I love your goals. I can relate...

And grace is good.

Charlotte said...

Hi Tami...Happy 2010!! I haven't heard from you in ages...thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting on this years Miss B calendar....have a very happy new year and keep making those lists!! Sue.

Janice said...

Love it!! Thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

You must have been in My nightstand!!! I LOVE notebooks, especially if they're really cute, farmy looking, lined...college...! There's just something about the written word and putting your thoughts down on paper. The things I think I'll remember and don't, are such a surprise to read about later!!!
We have many goals in common, yet I feel like a failure in so many of them. Thank you for reminding me of God's grace. I needed that.

Denise Marie said...

I'm right there with you. At least you can get yours all coraled into 1 spot. mine are everywhere.

Maggie said...

Great list! Thanks for giving me some good ideas.