Thursday, September 24, 2009

New Normal and Work in Progress

We have a new normal.

*Sam is on his way to Basic and we won't be able to call him. Or send one of my famous texts, 'U?'. Loosely translated, "where are you?" My guys receive this text on a regular basis. I have my own texting shortcuts. Yep, they make fun of me.

*Yesterday I received this text, "I swear in in like 5 minutes. Where are you?!" Stuck in traffic. We made it, with 20 seconds to spare.

Sam flew out this morning with three other guys. Two of them will also be studying to be medics at Fort Sam Houston after basic training.

*We have no driveway. Our bridge is gone and has been all week. We park down the street and then cross over another ditch on foot. I need groceries...
The Colacurcio crew has been so nice to work with, it's been a pleasure.

*Max is now an only child. We have a lot of work to do with him yet and he will be PARENTed a lot. He is thrilled. Definitely a work in progress.

*I'm going to clean Sam's room and it will stay clean. Loving that new normal. I like to think about inspections from his Sergeant.
{insert evil mom laugh}

*Thank you for all your kind words. It is different but okay. Yesterday I won a beautiful journal from Arlene's blog.
Made my day.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Glad you're home and still okay! Been waiting for you to see that you one a journal from Arlene. It was MY birthday, she's MY friend and You won!!!!!! I'm glad you had a little pick-me-up to greet you upon your return!! Can't wait to see you and here about all of your adventures...keep us posted about Sam.

I was a little disappointed that Max was not staying with us:( I thought we were his second family?! Now he and Tyler are only children together. They can complain about the same things now!!!

Have a great day Miss Tami! Holly

Janice said...

Hmmm - I'm thinking - no driveway - no leaving the house! How long is that project going to last? Sorry guys - mom couldn't get groceries so we're having mac and cheese - sorry boss, I can't get to work - nothing but patio, sunshine, coffee and maybe a little scrapbooking! Embrace the possibilities!

Hannah said...

Tami,
We will keep Sam in our prayers. Your Sam and Max have always kind of reminded me of my Sam and Will. Watching your guys in church I've always felt like I am getting a little glimpse into my future. It seems like just a short time ago they were about my boys' age. God bless Sam and God bless America!

jkluginbill said...

Yay! Sam's on his adventure. So exciting.

Oh the glories of being an only child...it is a blessing and a curse (from what I gather from Archer)!

I love our construction - keeps our road nice and quiet, however we always have a driveway so...

Jeff said...

Well SIL -
I have now seen a word misspelled twice in your blog and since I was one for about 10 years I have to send out a correction- the word is spelled "Sergeant". You'll add to Sam's pushup total if they catch that in a letter or email ; ]
I am very proud of my nephew. He will do great. Both your family and Sam will be in my prayers.
BIL and former Staff Sergeant - Jeff