Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Soup

We've definitely got the soup weather going on in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of wind and rain. If I think we might lose power I make soup in the morning and can keep it cookin' on the wood stove, if need be.

I found this recipe on Tasty kitchen and we really liked it. I really, really liked it because it is easy.

Ingredients:

The key tool is your can opener. Yep, it's easy.
1 can (15 Oz.) Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained

1 can (14.5 Oz.) Diced Tomatoes
1 package (10 Oz.) Frozen Corn
*½ cups Onion, Chopped
*½ cups Red Pepper, Diced
1 can (10 Oz) Enchilada Sauce *I had a 14 oz. can in the house and dumped it in.
1 can (10 3/4 Oz) Can Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup
1½ cups Milk
*2 whole Chicken Breasts- Not me!
1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded

Preparation Instructions:

In a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
*Whoa! I just added about 2 cups of my frozen precooked and cubed Cash and Carry chicken breast.
In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.

Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup. *Not me! I added my chicken ready to go.

*I didn't have onion and red pepper in the house so I sauteed it and added after my trip to the grocery store.
Top with pepper jack cheese and serve. The soup can also be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips.
If it is too thick add milk.

I don't have a good photo, we were hungry and so I quickly snapped and tucked right in. Crusty bread and butter and glass of wine made for a delicious dinner.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

michele said...

yum!! I am making this!

Janice said...

I was just trying to decide what to make for dinner when I get home tonight - and voila' this is going to be it - only I will come home to it done! I have pepper jack cheese in the fridge that needs to be used - and there you go!! Thanks Tami - what's for dinner tomorrow night - I'll check back :-)

Jodi said...

I am going to give it a try also:)