Thursday, November 5, 2009

Before and After Message Center

Yesterday it was our anniversary, our eight years in the Stone House anniversary. It is the longest we have lived in a house. I hope to stay until the end.

We have what I lovingly refer to as a one butt kitchen. It is small. As you walk into the kitchen from the mud room we have our telephone, calendar, message center. I had a piece of furniture that I bought from my Aunt Clarice when we had a garage sale together. It is an unusual desk, the bottom drawer slides out and has a top for a writing space. She got it from my Great Aunt Lula and until 1986 it had been stored in a barn for as long as anyone could remember, then I took it home and smelled up my apartment.

Anyway, not enough storage, always looked cluttered, but we could not find the right replacement. Only 30 inches wide and 12 inches deep made for a long search. On my field trip to Ikea I found the right piece. One problem, it's press board, which Hubby couldn't believe I would bring into our home. Lowered my standards but I'm okay with it.

BEFORE:



After:


I need a black leather bin for the bottom shelf yet.


Some of my heart rocks that the guys collected for me displayed in a jar. A stack of letters from Sam tied with a ribbon. These are a few of my favorite things.

The three lights are from Ikea and give a nice evening light for the kitchen/entry area.

Everything is labeled and organized. I hope it stays neat and tidy.


I am working on files and labels and a few more ideas to make this space work. I am closer now than eight years ago but still have a ways to go.

10 comments:

Les Hon said...

Love it!!!

jkluginbill said...

Looking good...glad you're progressing on your projects! :)

Melinda said...

Looks great. You never know what you will find at Ikea.

I'm interested in Aunt Lula's cabinet...send me a FB message. :)

Kathi said...

Love the new look - it brightens the space. Sometimes IKea has just what you need. I love my clothes folding table in the laundry room. We transformed an IKea baby changing table/drawer and it works perfect for the spot.

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary!

Holly said...

LOVE that...and all the labels make it so personal. Can't wait to get to IKEA myself!
P.S. I hope you stay!!

Emily said...

LOVE IT! I'm totally stealing the basket label idea! Looks great! ;0)

Pollywog Pearls said...

OK, what happened to the peice that you replaced? I will have to read it again to make sure it wasn't trashed. Please send it to MO for me as I LOVED it! Happy anniversary in your lovely home. Wishing I was there.

Janice said...

Happy Anniversary - that house is lucky to have you!!!

Tricia said...

Very cute!! Love the heart rocks! ;) My mom and I (or should I say Scott) are figuring out how to make cabinet knobs out of rocks, how cute would one of those heart rocks be as a knob on the bottom drawer...if interested, or have other spots your interested in doing something like that, you know where to find me! :)