Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Travel Tips Continued

Many of you shared travel tips on my facebook link and I appreciate that.  Great ideas and tips!
I have more to share today because I learned some things on this trip.  Some were the hard way.
 Rental car reservations, I usually make two or three and then upon arrival I go to the company with the shortest line. I didn't do that this time, which was unusual and a big mistake for this trip.
I had reservations with Dollar Rental, we took the shuttle to the rental car hub at the Las Vegas airport.  We got to the counter and the agent couldn't find my reservation.  It turns out that I had a car rental reservation in Las Vegas, just not at the airport. Oh yes, he could help me but it would be $80 a day more. We took a cab to Treasure Island and picked up the car.  We had to return it there too.
We decided to return the car the night before and take Lyft to the airport in the morning.
I will now and forever cross check car pick up and drop off. Amen.

I use Uber, but in Las Vegas the concierge told Marie that Lyft works better there.  Now I have both apps and will check which one works better for the area.  Lyft cars were everywhere and lined up like taxis in Vegas. Lyft is cheaper than the shuttles that take you from the airport to the hotels.

When traveling on Allegiant Airlines, we always arrive super early.  They have long lines and never enough help.  It was a good call to return the car the night before and go directly to the airport in the morning because in addition to the snaking long line inside of the airport, the line continued down the sidewalk outside. Miles of cranky people.
We had plenty of time but we witnessed a lot of panic and missed flights.
I carry a large tote bag as my purse with cross body purse inside the bag.  It's nice to have that extra room for my book, water bottle, snack, footie socks and shopping.
I found this bag at Gap this Spring and it's a great size, lined and it's pretty in real life.  The Gap code today in BONUS.  I am the master of Gap codes, promotions and rewards and I got mine for $13.  It is regularly $59.95 and comes in black and brown also.  It stands up, it has an inside strap to secure it and a pocket for my phone.  There are matching cross body bags too.
Traveler Beware!
I had an incident yesterday at the Bellingham airport.  I went to get the luggage and Hubby went to get the car. I was texting and saw the luggage carousel start up.  I finished my message and started to walk over to watch for our bag.  About three steps in I saw my bag go flying past me, being pushed along by a guy.  A man and woman were heading to the door with our bag.
I stopped them and told them that they had my bag. She said she was glad I noticed, he said nothing!
Honestly, I am not sure if it was a mistake or if they were stealing luggage.
I have a large, bright tag on our suitcase. 
She said, oh we must have the same luggage.
I asked, oh really, with a big tag just like mine?
NO RESPONSE!
Yeah, that's what I thought! 
Put a big, bright tag on your luggage and watch out because people are either stupid or stealing.

Las Vegas fun and the wedding in my next post!

No comments: