When I take a trip I like to read a book that takes place at my vacation destination. I had read Molokai by Alan Brennert and so I saved Honolulu for my next trip to Hawaii. I'd consider it to be historical fiction. It was a good beach read about the picture brides arriving in Hawaii.
I also read The Girl You Left Behind on the beach. It's the story of a painting and its owners. The story went between World War I and current time. I enjoyed this story.
The All Girl Filling Station Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg is a fun, quick read as usual with Fannie's books. Having gotten a glimpse, I think I'd like to know more about the women pilots from World War II.
I'm currently reading Packing Light by Allison Vesterflet. It's nonfiction story of her trip through the United States and her story on becoming an author. In the beginning she writes about living in Portland, OR as a young Christian woman. Portland takes great pride in being open minded and accepting of everyone, but really the city isn't very accepting of Christians. She has some good thoughts for believers and for letting go of things.
I checked out A Year With Six Sisters' Stuff. The recipes look delicious and the photography is beautiful but I'm just not cooking as much as I did when the guys all lived at home so I didn't try any new recipes. Though everything looked yummy.
Martha Stewart has a new book, Living the Good Long Life. I checked it out but haven't had time to peruse. Martha is getting older and so am I, she may have some words of wisdom for me.
I'm always looking for a good read. I purchase very few books. Most of my reading material comes from my local library. I don't really like the accumulation of books or the cost. For me the best part of using the library is that if I start reading a book and am not enjoying it I just return it. Life is too short to muddle through a book that I don't enjoy.
I don't own a kindle but after my last vacation I am seriously considering one. I ran out of books in Maui and so I hit the resort's book shelf. I read a romance by Debbie Macomber. Painful. I knew the outcome by the first paragraph. UGH.
What are you reading?
and
Do you have and use a kindle?
Happy reading!





2 comments:
Love my Kindle! One feature I really enjoy is that I can highlight passages that I find important. When I am done with the book, I go to "My Clippings" and they are all in one place for my review.
In your case, if you had a Kindle when you ran out of books, you could have downloaded one while you sat on the beach. Presto! More good reading. (In fact, I did this very thing on Kameole Beach!)
Just don't get a Kindle Fire. Can't read those outside...
I have a tablet with Kindle installed. I like it, I just don't love it. I'm still partial to books, with pages that I can flip and feel. The Kindle is nice for when I am travelling though (such as the train or the bus which have been my modes of transport lately), they are much lighter and take up less space.
The library is amazing. It's pretty great living a block away. I love being able to return something I'm not enjoying and pick up something new. Great!
Post a Comment