Thursday, December 12, 2013

Oh Deer, How it All Began

Last December when I went on the Bethany Christian Services Homes for the Holidays tour I started getting pressure for Hubby and me to put our home on the 2013 tour.  While in Snohomish we visited Joyworks and I spotted a deer in the window.  I told Hubby that if we were going to be on tour I was going to make a deer like the one we saw in Joywork's window.
My first step was to find a lighted deer.  I found one at our thrift store for $5.  I took him home and threw him into the attic for months.  Then I did some research, bought the economy size mod podge and a hymnal from the thrift store.  Hubby rewired him because he was motorized to have his head turn.
I didn't really find instructions online so I just decided to tear, glob on the mod podge and crunch it to the deer form.
It actually went pretty quickly.  I definitely spent a lot more time obsessing over the deer than actually making the deer.
Even though I planned to glitter the antlers I covered them with songbook pages too.
Since our guys are gone we stored him in their bathroom to dry.
I used a very inexpensive poinsettia for the corsage.  Glammed it up using ribbon, vintage ornaments, and feathers.  Bits and bobs, as I say.
The antlers got a heavy coat of mod podge, the silver glittered type.  Who knew that existed? 
Then I added a heavy dusting of German glass glitter.  Thanks Chris!
Since the owl ornaments on the tree are all wearing crowns I crowned my deer too.
The tree in our master bedroom is decorated using neutral colors, burlap, silver, gold and critters from the forest.  I have a remote for the lights on my bedside table.  It's pretty dreamy as we fall asleep.
Shelly aka Shellaflora created the green branches and icy twig display,  I added other urns with touches of silver and gold.
The wing back chairs are a cozy spot to do some reading while enjoying cocoa and banket, a Dutch almond pastry.

I picked up the set of deer on the armoire at a garage sale this summer, they were gold.  They got a coat of Annie Sloane chalk paint, glittered antlers and burlap scarves to keep them cosy.

The hall leading into the master bedroom had just a hint of what was to come inside the room.  A bird's nest, pictures of our family on Camano Island and some of the heart shaped rocks that my guys have collected for me.
A bit of outdoors brought inside for the Christmas season, from a family that loves the Pacific Northwest.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm doing the happy dance that you posted so many pictures! It was so much fun playing with all of your treasures...I am blessed to have such creative friends xoxo

Holly said...

So fun to re-live a bit of the tour! And all the secrets are starting to come out...woo hoo!!! I want to be just like you!

Chris Kenner said...

thanks for sharing all the pics... there was too much to see to remember it all! Hope you are unwinding after all your work. Merry Christmas!

Les Hon said...

Oh, I love this review!! I just didn't get enough of in on the day of the tour. Loved this stuff in your bedroom...LOVELY!!

How many times can one say 'love' in one post...