Besides those super rich brownies, I made an almond creamy fruit dessert for the reunion. I got the recipe from Karen. It's been in our church newsletter as we have a family with four girls in our church that used this recipe instead of wedding cake at three of their four weddings. They serve it on cake stands and put one on each table for self service. It makes for a pretty centerpiece too.
I made this dessert because Hubby's family comes from Ripon, California, almond country. They had an almond farm in the family at one time. So, to honor the past I went for something almond. I say "allmond", they say "aahhhmond", anyway you pronounce it, they ate it.
*I made 1 1/2 of the bar recipe for two 9 inch pans- perfect!
ALMOND BARS
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup melted marg.
4 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp almond extract
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds (for bars only, please do not use for the wedding cakes)
Grease a 9x13 pan or a 9 inch round for the wedding or for a round pan.
Combine all ingredients except almonds.
Pour into pan. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds for bars only. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. I had to bake mine much longer to get them done, Karen said that she did too.
*For wedding cakes use a 9 inch round cake pan. Do not use dark cake pans. They tend to bake the cake too dark and taste a bit dry. Each recipe makes 4 cups of batter. Use 3 cups of batter for 1- 9 inch round pan, so 1 1/2 the recipe for two cakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting/Filling
1-16 oz. package of cream cheese- I always use low fat.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
(1 tsp. vanilla optional)
Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and heavy cream on high for 1 to 2 min. until medium soft peaks form. Do not over beat.
*I made the filling at home and then put it in a ziploc bag in the cooler for the trip. On Saturday I frosted the cakes with the cream filling.
I brought berries from Lynden, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. I gently washed them and let them drain on paper towels. Then arranged them on the cakes. I love berry recipes. Aahmond recipes too!
No comments:
Post a Comment