Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dinner is Ready

Hubby and I were invited to a dinner party last Saturday evening, wonderful friends, beautiful table, delicious food and wine on a blustery Fall evening, perfect. Scott was given a dinner party for a Christmas gift by Shawn and Jannette. They fussed, a lot. Sometimes it's fun to have a last minute dinner with friends and sometimes it is special to fuss. Especially when you're invited and someone has fussed a lot. Michael and Barb also joined us.
I asked Jannette for her soup course recipe and she emailed me last night. I made it for tonight's dinner. It is delicious, pretty in the bowl and perfect for a Fall evening. I've copied and pasted her recipe so that it appears here in its exact state with a small insert. Because you know how I can change things up, and really this recipe needed no changes.
So, if you canned tomatoes this Summer, enjoy.
Curry Tomato Soup5 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium to large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp baking soda (do not omit the baking soda, as it counters the acidity of the tomatoes)
1 C milk (can be whole milk or lowfat), I'm a whole milk kind of girl :)
1/2 C heavy cream
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in large saute' pan or dutch oven. Saute' onion ever medium heat until tender - about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook until fragrant, less than 1 minute. Add tomatoes to pan, as well as the baking soda and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, partially covered, about 5 minutes.

Stir in milk and cream (I temper my milk and cream mixture with the tomato mixture, it seems to work a little better).
R.E.S.P.E.C.T. the Blender
Jannette had a small incident during her party prep and makes reference to the very incident in the recipe. I wish you could see her and Shawn's reenactment of said incident. Oh, did I mention we had some good laughs on Saturday evening?-tami

Pour soup into a blender and puree' until creamy and smooth (don't forget to place the lid on the blender container :) it helps with kitchen clean-up ). Return to pan and reheat to a simmer, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. You can add a swirl of sour cream to each bowl.

The soup was one of many courses on Saturday evening, tonight it stand alone with beer bread on the side.

2 comments:

Holly said...

That looks so good! Is that the soup you were going to bring tonight, because the Tailgate is back on in that case!!!
Had to take note of the blender as I have the same one...that would be 25 years old now!!!!
See you tonight maybe!!

Janice said...

I'll have to try it! I love any kind of tomato soup. Thanks for another recipe - keep 'em coming!