Sunday, August 16, 2009

Going for the Blue Ribbons

The fig jam is a hit. I will be posting some recipes that use fig jam after the Fair. In the meantime I just couldn't put the jam in the cupboard, the color is just too pretty. So, a jam vignette in the kitchen.


I am a bit busy this week at the Fair.
I am Max's encourager, laundress and sanity this week.
This is the list of what Max is entering in the Fair:
One Jersey cow.
Two Jersey heifers.
One Holstein heifer.
One pig. Whoa, what were we thinking? Now I have to go to the Swine barn, I like the Dairy barn, thank you very much. A new venture...

This is the list of what I am not entering in the Fair:
One jar of fig jam.
One jar of strawberry fig conserve.

Apparently they have rules against the open kettle/wax seal method of jam making. Becky and I were very disappointed. I may sneak it in and display it anyway. Becky had already spent (in her mind) the possible first place $3 premium. No blue ribbons for us.

We're not bitter or anything...

2 comments:

Janice said...

Ok, if I bring over the homemade bread or rolls , or I don't something you don't make (which would be almosgt impossible, since you make everything), can I get a taste of that jam?! :-) Do you eat figs right off the tree?

Holly said...

The fig under the dome...DIVINE!!! Thanks for sharing, the fig was really delicious, although somewhat odd looking on the inside, but I have tried, and I like!!!! Looking forward to seeing Max in the barns! Hope he does well! And you! What do you need? Alcohol? Is that permitted? Perhaps some lovely, relaxing tea, Janice's homemade bread and some of your lovely jam!!! Just call and I'll deliver!!!!! Have fun!