Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Entertaining



Melinda had a question in the comments and I am going to try to share what I do for a dinner party. I can't share about this year as I like my guests like to be surprised. This tradition started three years ago when Dan came home from Calvin for the holidays and Max & I decided to throw a dinner party with friends. This is only a tradition as long as Max still wants to do this party with Mom. Since he is fourteen, I was thrilled when he wanted to have it again this year. In the photo you can see that the past two years we combined the menu card and the placecard. Since we ask Shelly and Karen to each bring a course & we aren't sure what they will bring we just print "by Karen" etc. We decide on our menu-this is a lot of discussion and looking in cookbooks because we don't want it too heavy with that many courses and presentation and color are important. We plate and serve each course so we have a table in the kitchen for setting up the courses. I ask others to get involved such as Dan-open with prayer, Braden clear and serve for his Mom's course and Sam help with water glasses and help Auntie Shelly with her course. Guys wear ties and girls put on the glitz. Right now for this year I have on the dining table a smattering of dishes, napkins, favors, paper to get a feel for what we will do this year. The photo is just some random items, not what is happening this year! Last year we used a fantasy theme with my eddie bauer snowglobes, fresh greens with candy canes for the centerpiece, favors were sparkling snowmen filled with candy and lots of fake snow and shiney garlands of beads.
I think our friends enjoy this dinner but really I get the most joy working with Max. We do all of the cooking the day of the dinner so we have a little pressure. All of the young men are adventurous eaters and so that makes it fun too. I will let you know how this year turns out.

3 comments:

jkluginbill said...

I am sure this year will be lovely. And I am sure that we will get an in depth show after the fact!

I bet Max will never grow out of his love of entertaining - not with you and Fred as parents. One day you will be at his house throwing a fabulous party! How exciting!

Shelly said...

I'm so glad that Max is "in" this year! We feel so honored to be guests at this wonderful dinner.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea of combining the placecards and menus....I think that will be easier in the long run. Christmas Day dinner is with our friends, the Mouws and we're in charge of the menu - it will be turkey...I can't let 2007 go by without the Doris/Clarice stuffing!!! (Remember I was cheated at Thanksgiving?!?)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for your dinner this year. :)