I start thinking about next year's garden party on the way home. Seriously. Then when I see books, blogs or magazines with a possible recipe, I copy it and save. The other thing I do all year is hit every clearance table between here and Seattle. I watch for that one inspiring piece and then plan my table around it. I have dishes (quite possibly the understatement of the year) that can be changed with different linens, candles or different salad plates. It all goes into a basket.
One week before the party I throw everything out, gathering from my stash and cupboards. I run to TOM for the paper. This year Elke and Jolene helped me. They love a blog mention! I found the perfect paper for my menu cards.
We try not to do too much testing. This year we did test our drink and the spring rolls. We were glad we did as there were glitches.
Two days before the dinner I do a bit of the cooking prep. This year I made Ina's cracker dough to chill and mixed up my Brie topping. Any sauces or prep I can do ahead of time helps.
I try to have all my groceries in the house the day before. This year I went to four grocery stores including the Asian Market. I also try to have my flowers. The day of the party I am cooking. Hubby does the chopping for me.
We set up a drinks table. Sort of a meet the guests at the entrance gesture.
At 5:30, right before the guests arrived I picked some flowers and hung them in the corner. I love those last minute touches.
Holly, we don't eat or entertain like this all the time, once a year is enough. It makes it special and otherwise, we would be exhausted.
Until next year...
4 comments:
Looks like a beautiful party (of course, as always!). You ladies are amazing!
So, gonna share that martini recipe? Hmmmm? I'm thinking YES! :)
Beautiful. Beautiful.
So pretty!!!!!!!
Tami - dont' do anything you feel funny about. Join Blogrankings only if you want to, ok? dont' feel pressured.
Joni
Saw the arsty crafty menu card over at Aunt Karen's house last night - was intrigued and inspired :)
I might need to start doing this with my friends as well!
Where are the recipes - the pork, the cake, the martinis - goodness - you must share!!
Post a Comment