I drank the kool-aid, the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint kool-aid. I resisted the Annie paint simply because it costs a lot of cash compared to hardware store latex, however; I kept seeing beautiful things painted with Annie Sloan paint. So last week I pick up a couple of colors at our local stockist, Grandiflora. On Saturday I went to get groceries and on the way to the store I stopped at several garage sales where I picked up some smalls to Annie Sloan.
The lamp was marked $1/works, I bought two trays for 50 cents each and a small clock for two dollars. And I had some frames that need a freshening up.
I dabbled, mixed colors, dry brushed, wiped off, and smeared on the paint.By Saturday late afternoon I knew I had to run back to Grandiflora for the clear wax, the brush and another color, old white. The brush is an investment, boy howdy.
The clock is finished and on the kitchen window sill.
I debated about painting over this tray but it is now old white, ready for wax and some distressing. Another tray was painted graphite, then louie blue and now it is old white. I had some decision making issues in my excitement.
In my usual bull in a china shop fashion I just started messing around, enjoyed some success, had some failures and then I started researching. I'd like to recommend Simply Reinvented. It's blog with many tutorials, including a waxing video that I should have watched prior to the waxing. Everything she says not to do in the video I had already done. Hahaha, good thing I can laugh at myself and buff with a soft cloth.
Grandiflora offers classes and I can see where they'd be helpful for someone with patience. Since I have zero patience and couldn't wait for a class to begin I learned by trial and error. I may take a class down the road to learn more techniques.
I hope to have more completed projects to share later this week.
Right after I wipe that kool-aid mustache off my face.
2 comments:
Maybe you can tutor me! Glad that you are having success with it...
I plan to try again, thinning the paint a little, and I should check out that blog to find out what I did wrong.
Love the clock! Want to see more!
I like, I like!!!!
Had my old white out yesterday, dabbing a few goodies. I haven't branched out into color yet.
I do want the brush, but haven't bit the bullet. Is it worth it? Do you notice a difference? Are you using for paint and wax?
I suggest a painting night with Leslie too!!!
Post a Comment