Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Max Has Food & Hawley Has a New Bed

Brrrrr, baby, it's cold outside! Wind isn't my favorite. That said, gusts up to 60 mph, totally freak me out. It's dangerous. And 15 degrees F. isn't comfortable either. Combined makes for a cold wind chill. But the house is toasty warm and I'm thankful for my wood stove.

Yesterday I went to town to get groceries, Trader Joes, Cash & Carry and Costco. It was snowing, icy, windy and cold. It was all good until I walked out of Costco. The wind blew the dog bed, the chips and rolls right off my cart into oncoming traffic. I had to crawl under a van to retrieve Hawley's new bed. I had parked at Billy McHale's because it was crazy busy. After I got everything back on the heavy loaded cart I pushed on into the wind across the icy ruts in the parking lot to my car. NO KEYS!!! I went through my purse over and over. NO KEYS!!! I looked around and realized if I left my cart to run back I would likely come back to an empty cart. Not everyone is above stealing $300 in groceries.
So, I started pushing my way back. Then came an angel, a Costco employee arriving to work. He noticed I was going the wrong way. A big pickup came around the corner and lost control. The truck slid up in the tree median and avoided us. We looked for my keys again, no go, so I stayed with my cart and he went to look inside or where everything blew off my cart to find my keys. Eventually another employee came out with my keys. He helped me load up. I was frozen and near tears by then.

So, if you saw a crazy lady laying over her cart to hold the groceries down, slipping on the ice, in 20 degrees, 40 mph winds yesterday, it was me. The cart would literally blow across the ice if I let go for a second. I would have cried but I knew the tears would freeze to my cheeks and make it worse.

So we have food. Max was worried that we were low on food and a storm was coming. Have I ever let him starve? No, but after yesterday I just might.

And a first... we have a walk in closet! I feel like a grownup. A happy, excited grownup.

Keep warm!

6 comments:

Les Hon said...

Oh my!! What an experience!! Stories of survival in the Costco parking lot...

Glad you got everything home in time for Max to avoid starvation ;) and Hawley to sleep comfortably.

Walk-in closets are the BOMB!! Enjoy!

Holly said...

What a horrible feeling!!!! Glad everything worked out!! Nice to be snug at home for awhile!!!

Glad to hear Max won't starve...I was worried too!!

Anonymous said...

I dislike costco allot. It's bad...very bad! Glad to hear Max has food. Wouldn't want to stunt his growth from malnutrition! We Mom's risk our live out there for food.
Glad you lived to blog about it:)

michele said...

Oh your Costco parking lot experience sounds awful!! Today is a snow day here. I am so glad I didn't have to leave the house!

Anonymous said...

Ps: as your sis I have to say. Dead roses on blog topper? Got to go! I say this with love:)

Janice said...

Thanks for sharing Tami - you're such a honest blogger!! :-) I had a similar experience at Costco except mine was in 90+ temps and I had a cart full of meat and frozen things waiting to get into a cooler in my car! NOT nearly as tragic as yours - I hate trying to get grocery carts around in lots with ice! Someone needs to invent something for this problem! And Jodi - shame on you for stomping on your sister when she's down! I got your back Tami!