Since the kids were just wee little ones my Mom has made them sing for their presents. It is a sweet thought that our offspring would all want to gather around their Nana while she plays Christmas carols on the piano and sing their little hearts out but alas tis not true. We just are not a singing family. Years ago they each came with a special number, trumpet solos, recitations, duets were sang. Now it is a required Away in a Manger and Silent Night.
We almost had a mutiny from the teens last night when I finally said, "Grandma chose, purchased and wrapped all of those gifts loving placed under the tree and if you stinkin' kids don't sing we're all outta luck!" Isn't that nice? They sang.
Obviously I got the biGgEsT gift because I've been a good little girl this year. So there!
So what happens when a Snapsister gets her camera taken away and used on her? It got a little ugly. Almost everyone was laughing...
Another tradition is that the gift giver has to present the gift to the giftee. Sometimes these presentations come with speeches, sometimes it is painful to watch.
I had Katie's name and gave her a book that I had enjoyed and some Gap scent and shower gel.
Max has a hard time being giving and loving, so it was difficult for him to GIVE Alex his gift.
Sam had my Dad's name and gave him a belt and more importantly a U.S. Army hat. Dad loved it and wore it all night.
We had traditional food too. Meatballs, chicken wings, potato salad and a plethora of dips, snacks and goodies.
Fun times, for sure.
7 comments:
Do you think a year is enough time to be adopted into your family? I LOVE singing Christmas carols and would sing with out the expectation of a gift!!!!
And I love that grandma is Nana!!
Call me,, I'm available!!!
Looks like so much fun!
What was in your gift by the way??
Sorry to hear the guys had car trouble. Maybe that little yellow car just got confused as to who was in charge...old boss, new boss...you know?
Sounds like your day was much improved over the previous one!
Love hearing the piercing stories...you got ripped off!!! Way to much babysitting for all of that pain and suffering!!
I did not appreciate the ambush camera take over...I think they are trying to tell me something. Be watching my blog for some crabby pics of Max:)
It was fun to see the kids having a great time once they warmed up.
Seeing your family Christmas makes me excited for ours tonight. The Mellema/Dykstra family will invade my home tonight. No singing, but there will be some crafting for the kids. Gotta keep them busy, you know. I can't imagine all of them being teens. Merry Christmas
Oh I am tempted to make my family sing for their gifts...hehe!
Looks like fun! :)
Kids try to be so reserved - but we know they're dying to have fun!! So what did the "good little girl" get in her big box???
Your mom cracks me up. Way to make those kids sing! Kudos to you, for stickin'it to 'em, too...sing, or else!!
Have a Merry Christmas, my friend!
Looks like a fun gathering! I love your traditions of singing for your gifts and having the givers present the gifts to their recipients.
Merry, merry Christmas!
Post a Comment