Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cheater Soups

First off, a few disclaimers...
*If you need exact recipes to follow, stop reading and go find one.
*If you feel slighted because you don't have Dutch soup mix at your local grocer, stop reading. Sometimes I have to drive to the next town to the Asian Market, buck up.
*One recipe is from our church, the other I totally made up, all by myself, using common sense and throwing caution into the wind.

The key ingredient is the Dutch soup mix, Groentesoep.


Dutch Chicken and Rice Soup

One Groentesoep mix
One can cream of chicken soup
2 cups diced chicken breast (Cash and Carry is your friend)
1 cup rice
Water
I add carrots and sometimes celery. I just can't leave well enough alone.

Dutch Meatball Soup

One Groentesoep mix
One can of tomato soup
Three handfuls of shredded carrots
Three handfuls of frozen corn
One can of chopped tomatoes
Three stalks of diced celery
Meatballs from Costco
Broken angel hair pasta, which I add late in the day so it doesn't get too pastaey-is that a word?
Water
Since this is my made up recipe I throw in any veggies I have in the house. And you can too! Live a little, go crazy!


I throw everything into the crock pot and leave for the day. The chicken soup is creamy. Somedays I add the rice a bit later. So it doesn't get too ricey, is that a word?

I first saw shredded carrots at Haggens and used them for another recipe. They keep well and now I throw them in everything for that added vitamin boost that comes from carrots. I slice carrots too but on days when I am in hurry they are handy. We love them on salads too.

Nothing like Italian meatballs in your Dutch soup, hey, it works!

{Enjoy}

1 comment:

Janice said...

You are such the cooking queen - your family is BLESSED!! I think I'm movin' in too - I could use a good wife! :-)