Part I
Sam was part of a JOAX at Fort Bragg on Monday. He jumped with a group of 1500 soldiers as part of a field exercise. I was able to find these photos on the 82nd Airborne facebook page. I get pretty excited when I actually see Sam in the crowd. In the first picture he is handing his pack over to be loaded in the truck.
Prior to getting on the plane they practice landing in sand and they wait their turn. I'm not sure how long he waited for this jump but sometimes it is hours. The day starts early.
After they were back on the ground they had a 12 mile ruck, still wearing their 75 pounds of gear which may include packs, guns, medical equipment.
The army photographer uses special equipment to take the night time photos.
Sam is on the left in the photo below.
Many of the soldiers are up and working hard for almost 24 hours to complete this exercise. I can not imagine such a long day of hurry up and wait, carrying 75 pounds all this time, jumping from a plane and then hiking back 12 miles from the drop zone with the 75 pounds still on your back. After the jump many are sore because of their landing or the actual jump. Sam hit the door as he left the plane this time. The weight throws them off their game.
When Sam jumps I always ask him to text me when he can so I know he's okay. Tuesday at eleven I got a text, I made it, rough night, had a 75 lb ruck for the jump then we had a 12 mile ruck back from the dz. I hurt everywhere but no serious injury. Thank you, Lord.
Thank you 82nd for your service. I am so grateful that you are preparing everyday to protect me and my country.
Part II
Sam is pretty much famous. The picture below was part of the series of photos taken a few weeks ago. The photo was featured on the US Army website, then Time Magazine website and yesterday it was on the Army's magazine as well, Frontlines.
Sam's bum is on the left and it's pretty much famous. Sam will receive an award for representing the army in a positive light.
8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, to love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8
Like most soldiers Sam would prefer to be out of the limelight and doesn't feel worthy of awards. I appreciate the soldier's humble spirit but sometimes a mom just has to take a little pride in her soldier.
I love you, Sam.










2 comments:
God blesses America by the service of these strong men.
God bless THEM for blessing us!
You should be proud of your boy...
I love these photos that you post and all of the information. No one really knows the sacrifices these soldiers make. Thanks for giving us a little insight.
Blessings to all those who serve, but a little extra to that Sam I Am!!
Post a Comment