Thursday, November 8, 2012

Whatcha Readin'?


 I read.  A lot.  I prefer reading over television, I read to relax, I read to fall asleep.  
So does Hubby, we are pretty much a match made in heaven.
I just finished The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harmon.  It is her first novel, she had written some nonfiction about her experiences being a midwife.  I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it as I was sad when it ended.
Edited to add:  Speaking of midwives, have you watched Call the Midwife?  Crazy good, Downton Abbey kind of good.  Masterpiece Theatre is not really TV FYI.
I love MaryJane Butter's new book, Glamping.  I think I'll put it on my Christmas list as it has many good resources for someone that owns a '57 Aloha trailer. 
 It's on the bottom of the stack(cut out of the picture) but it's at the top of my list.

Ina Garten puts together another top notch cookbook, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof.  She is my favorite Food Network star, and sometimes I wish I was Jeffery, her husband, because he comes home to amazing meals and a cozy home.  She positively dotes on him.   I try to model Hubby's homecomings to the ones she gives her husband but I have room for improvement.  I may need the book.

Return to Sunday Dinner, a book about Sunday dinners from someone that gets what Sunday dinners really are all about, a good visit with your family, love, good food, and more love.  This is a book filled with the philosophy of Sunday family dinners and amazing recipes by Russell Cronkhite.

Where'd you Go, Bernadette by Maira Semple came recommended and I am reading it but honestly, it's a bit of a strange story.  I do like the idea of outsourcing some of my chores to an assistant in India.  I kid. 

I just started Lola's Secret by Monica McInerne, so far so good for light reading.  I am now over 50 year old and if I am not enjoying a book I don't finish it.  Life is short and there are a lot of books out there.

My friend Leslie read some heavy books and you may enjoy her lists here and a book review here.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

jkluginbill said...

Sounds like a great line up. I need to add a few to my list. :)

Right now I am reading: Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown (love it); Catcher in the Rye (revisiting Holden); the AA Big Book; and perusing short stories/essays from The Conscience Reader which was one of my anthologies in college.

Love the reading......

Les Hon said...

Hey! Thanks for the links!

I think I am going to do some reading from YOUR list...

Sandy said...

ok, funny, just fininshed "The Midwife of Hope River" myself! Loved it!!

Darcy said...

reading "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman. Wow!