Monday, November 5, 2012

Leftover Halloween Candy? Bake a Cake!

We had a lot of leftover Halloween candy at our house and it needed to used up and put to rest someplace besides my hips.  I found this recipe and I can't remember where, so apologies to the original baker, though I did tweak it.

Candy Dump Cake
3 c. all-purpose flour + more for dusting
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. dark brown sugar, tightly packed
1 c. vegetable oil + more for greasing
3 large eggs
1 c. Greek yogurt
2 c. assorted candy, roughly chopped -  I used Twix, 3Muskateers, Kit Kat, Snickers and Raisinets.  Chocolate candy was my choice.


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and choose a bundt cake pan.  I used my sandcastle/snow castle/princess castle/haunted house pan.  it was that or a heart.

Prepare your pan with greasing and flouring it or I use the spray mix of oil and flour.  I use it liberally as I don't want any chance of my cake sticking.

Cream the sugar and oil together in your bowl. Add the eggs and continue to mix.

Beat in the flour, baking powder, salt and Greek yogurt, beating just until all of the ingredients are mixed.
The batter is silky and caramely, if that is a word.
Fold in the chopped candy pieces. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. I tap my cake pan on the counter so it sinks into all of the castle crevices.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the baked cake to cool for 10 minutes before un-molding to a wire rack to cool further before glazing.  Mine popped right out.

For my glaze I melted 4 T. butter in a small pan on the stove, I added 2/3 cup brown sugar, a pinch of salt and boiled for a bit, then add cream or half and half, about 2/3 cup.  Whisk it constantly until you have a buttery caramel glaze.  I "paint" the castle using a pastry brush, using all of the glaze.  Decorate if you wish.
Then pack it up and take it to a party!


No comments: