I went with Brian and Holly to the Greenacres Memorial Park Festival of Flags for Memorial Day. Wow! It is amazing to see 1500+ flags lined up down the avenues. They are all flags that were presented to family on behalf of the President of the United States at the death of a veteran. The family then donates the flag to be flown during Memorial Day weekend at Greenacres.
All of the flag poles have a brass plaque identifying the veteran.
Eighty nine veterans were buried at Greenacres this year.
The flag arrives by helicopter and then is raised by the Washington Army National Guard Honor Guard.
After the Remembrance Ceremony I ran into my favorite WWII reenactor (spelling!?), Stevie.
Stevie was an intern at the museum one Summer and always told me he was my favorite.
Well, he was. He's listed in my cell phone contacts as 'Stevie your fav'.
I am so glad I went today. It was a very meaningful ceremony on a meaningful day.
When your son is a soldier you know that most soldiers killed in action are in their twenties.
And you know that they all had a family that loved them dearly.
God bless them.
I love bouquets of garden flowers for the graves. So pretty. The flowers, the flags fluttering in the breeze, the music and meaningful words made for a beautiful tribute today.
2 comments:
I need to go there next year...wonderful!
And thanks to Sam and his parents for their service to our country...We are grateful.
I like your pictures better.
I'm so glad that we could go together! What a spectacular sight~
praying for the soldier, Sam I am.
Post a Comment