Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tips for Suit Shopping with a Teen

A suit was purchased.
No lives were lost.
That said, I could've hurt that kid last night.
Kassie was along or I would have left his bum at the mall.
Just drove off.
And left him.
I usually take my guys to JC Penneys for a suit. They are 50 % off Easter week. They have good help. They can order a missing size or piece. And most importantly, Penneys has some slim cut, younger, more hip suit for the young guys.
They could not get the pants we needed. Huge bummer as we found a great suit at a great price, just no pants that were long enough.
Kohl's had some hip suits but not the long jacket size we needed and no pants with a 34" length.
Macys doesn't do long or tall. One jacket and it needed to be tailored. And not really any suits for young guys at Macys.
My guys have very long arms. It's a problem.
So, we ended up at Men's Wearhouse.
Great help and slim cut, talls and longs!
Max had two choices in our price range.
All pants come in 38" length and they hem them. For a fee.
Nice black suit. No tux rentals for him. Yay!
I recommend the suit purchase Junior year so as to avoid the tux rental.
Long term, it saves money, they are more comfortable and in the end they own a suit.
It makes sense, but it's painful.
My tips besides where to shop are to take your patience, a buffer (Kassie) and more money than you think you'll need.
Then we went to the football meeting at school. The new coach was introduced.
It's exciting. I love football season.

And then I came home, went straight to bed with a headache.
A BiG, BaD headache.
My teen is a teen.
But he is a teen with a very nice suit.
And he looks very handsome in the suit.
Mission accomplished.

4 comments:

Les Hon said...

Congratulations on your survival of teen suit shopping...brutal!

Hope your head feels better today...just ponder that you won't have to go suit shopping with a teen ever again! :)

Anonymous said...

It happens-just when you think you are going to save money. Sorry to hear Max has long legs and couldn't get 50% off a suit at Penneys. But at least you got one-so mission accomplished!

Julie J. said...

Ooh, thanks for the tips! I know all about long arms and legs. And I hate Men's Wearhouse...so sorry Penney's didn't work out.

Janice said...

jewels in your crown my dear!! Nathan never got a suit, we just bought Brandon one before college this year! He looked so handsome! Makes those boys look so grown up doesn't it?!?!?