Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Beach Read

Jane Eyre written by Charlotte Bronte isn't really light reading or a beach read but I made it mine for my recent trip to Hawaii. I had my reasons. The biggest reason was Hubby's Grandma. Grandma and I both love to read and any time we see each other the conversation turns to books. Her favorite book is Jane Eyre. She read it as a newlywed. Having just moved away from family, Grandma spent time reading. She didn't neglect her housework though. She has told me many times that the first time she read Jane Eyre, the book was propped on the wood stove and as she stirred, she read.

So, as I read I couldn't help but think about Grandma, cooking and stirring as a young bride. Grandma is now 96 years old and Grandpa has been gone for 20 years. They were so in love, always. She misses him still and spends her time knitting, reading and seeing family. She is a Godly woman as was Jane Erye.

I enjoyed reading the book and am glad that I did read it. I finished after we got home. Today I am sending Grandma a postcard to let her know that I finally read Jane Erye and thoroughly enjoyed it. I finished just in time for the movie, Jane Eyre, that was recently released.

No comments: