Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Snow Salad

Snow Salad makes for a white Christmas in spite of the rainy weather. Today I am sharing a family favorite Christmas recipe. I got this recipe from my friend Sheryl and I make it for Christmas Day. Last night as Max finished the leftovers we decided I should make it more. I am not sure why I don't make it during strawberry and raspberry season, or for Valentine's Day or for New Year's Eve or for birthdays. Next summer I am going to try it filled with fresh berries, no junket.
I use equal parts of water and sugar with a few tablespoons of a berry jello mix instead of the junket. I boil the water and sugar with a bit of cornstarch and then add the jello and take it off the heat. I cool it a bit and then add it to the berries. Otherwise I have not changed a thing about this delicious salad.

Snow Salad

1 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. cold water
1 c. boiling water
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 16 oz. sour cream
1 8 oz. cool whip (thawed)
Mix the gelatin with cold water. Add boiling water, sugar and vanilla. Stir.
Add sour cream and cool whip.
Mold and set.
Since I don't have a jello mold I use my heart shaped bundt pan. I threw my Tupperware jello mold away one time in a fit of anger...

Filling:
2 c. frozen berries, thawed
1 pkg. junket





No comments: