Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dreams Do Come True

When Max was just a little guy, he started spending Wednesday afternoons with my Dad. I'd be at work and Grandpa would pick Max up. They went to the dairy, Haak Haven, owned by my Dad's brother and family. Max loved it out there. Dreaming of showing cows someday, he couldn't wait to be old enough.

After checking out the farm they'd drive to the Everson Auction Barn for lunch. Now to a non farm chick this seemed strange, eating a burger in a barn. But they have a lunch counter with good burgers and Max loved to have lunch there with his Grandpa.

When Danny came home from college he wanted to go with Max and did go. Much to Max's dismay Danny wore sandals and shorts. Uhmmmm dude, what will the other farmers and guys think about someone that isn't in jeans and boots? Puhleeeze. He tried to warn Danny but Danny was fine with it. And he didn't own boots. Danny and I laughed because it was obvious that his little brother was embarrassed to be seen with him.

Hubby and I went one time to a horse auction and had lunch. Good burgers.

But this Wednesday tradition has pretty much belonged to Max and Grandpa.

Something that Max always wanted to do was to pick up Grandpa and go to lunch. Well, he has his driver's license and last night asked if he could use my van since Wednesday is auction day. You bet! I am all for dreams coming true.

Max had a fun time today. I am so thankful for the relationship Max and my Dad have, it is a dream come true for me.

Oh, and if you haven't had lunch at the auction barn put it on your calendar, open on Wednesdays only.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I've often questioned the "burger at the barn" tradition too! Randy use to take Nathan in our ol' farmin' days! Max is blessed to have that special bond with Grandpa - but then again, Grandpa is blessed too!

Les Hon said...

Best burgers anywhere! My kids are big fans and are doing their best to educate the non-farm population about the food, and the culture of the Auction Barn...it's a rare place!

What a great tradition for Grandpa & Max!

Mindy K said...

How did that toe fit into boots yesterday?

Kathi said...

Did he get his chickens? I heard you were very excited about getting them...or not!?!?