Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Curtis Wright Flagship Design Ideas

Moving along to the next trailer project,the Flagship Curtis Wright.  Huaka'i Annie is 98% finished.  Hubby is working out the CW plumbing and electrical floor plan, I am working out the floor plan from an ascetic viewpoint.
We have many decisions to make prior to the rebuild.
For the exterior we are leaning towards paint on the bottom as was the original.  We'd match the original teal color.  The top will get the paint removed and I'll polish it.  Where the paint meets the shiny aluminum a small pinstripe or two.  I am learning towards a rust red pinstripe.
The paint color is one of the middle teal colors on the paint cards pictured below.

I am working on a design board.  Though I don't actually make a board because I carry it in a ziploc bag wherever I go. 

In February I had seen this little bench at a local antique store.  We didn't have the CW in our possession yet but the fabric colors reminded me of the trailer.  The quail reminded me of Eastern Washington where the CW was waiting for us in a field.  The bark cloth look reminded me of the 1940's.  I snapped a photo.
Once the CW was home I started looking for the fabric.  It was a needle in a haystack but I found it.  I ordered a sample and then had a panic attack because it could disappear.  That happened with Annie so I know what I'm talking about here.  I ordered the fabric.
I picked up the paint cards at the hardware store to get a match on the exterior pain so that I'd have something to work off of when I'm designing the interior.
While I won't necessarily use the Formica or the vinyl or the fabric pictured it gives me some pattern and color to play with in the meantime.
I picked up the light fixture at a garage for a dollar and may use it after painting it.  I liked it's design and lines,
 Our Curtis Wright is not the aviation Curtiss Wright so I'm not necessarily going with a heavy aviation theme however; our Curtis Wright did design and create some aircraft.  I found the airplane bookends on clearance at Pier One.  I plan to reuse them as light sconces by adding lights under the bottom base and attaching the back base to the wall.
I found this small sleeper sofa at an estate sale and plan to recover it with either gray vinyl or gray fabric with the teal fabric as piping.  My upholstery guy is retiring and came over to tell me that he couldn't do it anymore.  Hubby and offered to take it apart and Gerrit agreed to one more Tami project.
Since then Gerrit and I have agreed that I am going to work with him on this one and learn how to upholster.  He even suggested selling his tools to me.  In the meantime, we both are taking vacations and honestly, upholstery may not be in my talent level.

I would really like to wallpaper the bedroom in the CW.  It is fun to look for just the right paper.

The only set in stone design decision we have made it that we plan to order the big awning and the window awnings. Really.

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

Hahaha!!! If you can't do cartwheels, don't put them in your routine...

Your plans are fabulous! And working on them is as much fun as enjoying a finished project!

Especially now that you are retired...