Thursday, October 15, 2015

Dutch Speculaasje Cookie Recipe and some Random

I baked a new cookie recipe this week.  It's my turn for cookies at our church.  I found the recipe in the museum cookbook.  The spices sounded good for Fall.
Dutch Speculaasje

1 1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. allspice = 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. cloves*
nuts (if desired)
Mix shortening eggs and sugars together; add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly all of the ingredients.  Refrigerate overnight.  I made two logs of dough wrapped in parchment paper and pressed into a rectangle shape.  I then sliced and baked on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 14 minutes.  The original recipe was for 15-20 minutes, that makes then really crispy.

* I didn't have allspice.  I didn't know what allspice was so I googled it.  Online there was a formula using spices that I had so I made my own and you can too.  Why have allspice if you have all of the other spices?  One of life's great mysteries.

In other news... We entertained friends for dinner this past weekend.  I used my Mom's china and linens for a soft pink table.  The pop of color was the last of the geraniums from our window boxes and a fruit salad in small compote stemware.
 I tried two new recipes, a roasted cauliflower and a mushroom casserole.  I followed the new mushroom casserole recipe this time but next time I will tweak it a bit.  The mushrooms and onions with white wine and thyme were divided in half and then half was pureed.  It was then mixed with the trifecta of goop... cream cheese, mayo and sour cream.  Next time, less goop, more zooms.  There is cheese involved too.  Pretty yummy with grilled flank steak.  The cauliflower was good too and I'd make it again.
Have a good weekend!  A fun way to kick off your weekend tonight is at the Lynden Pioneer Museum Open House.  It is my favorite night at the museum with many actors, demonstrations, live music, Starbucks coffee and homemade cookies.  It is 6-9 p.m. this evening and it's free.  Refreshments are by donation.  This weekend is the Lynden Craft and Antique Show and the Music Festival, so downtown Lynden will be hoppin'.  It's Stoney Ridge's last pumpkin patch season too so get out there.  The pumpkin donuts...
It's Fall Y'all!

No comments: