Monday, September 1, 2014

Chop Chop

 Hubby and I have been eating a lot of chop salads.  I was buying the little salad kits sold on the produce aisle.  I needed a salad for Saturday evening and one for Sunday dinner.  I decided kits weren't the way to go for larger groups and I should make my own.  And I like it to look like I fussed.  After googling and looking at a few recipes I came up with my own.  Common sense, really.

Chop Salad
one bag of 3 romaine hearts
one bag of shredded carrots
two bags of coleslaw without dressing
one bunch of kale
one bunch of green onions
two red peppers
 Even though the carrots and coleslaw came shredded, I did a bit more chopping.
The romaine and kale got washed and went for a spin.  And then I chopped and chopped some more.
Kale is hard to chop so got the scissors out and cut it.

 I filled my Tupperware Lotsa bowl.  That is a lot of salad.
 It's pretty!
Before serving I added slivered almonds, craisins, wonton strips and dressing.
Any Asian inspired dressing would be good but the Trader Joes Sesame Soy Ginger vinaigrette is considered the best at our house.  If you don't live close to a Trader Joes, move.  It's that simple.
Stir everything in and serve.
I  just took some of the chop salad and put it in a pretty serving bowl and then added accordingly.
We had it on the patio Saturday night with guests, I took a bowl to Sunday dinner at Birch Bay, Hubby and I had it for a light dinner last night.  We had a BBQed chicken breast that had been marinated in Trader Joes Soyaki.  Chopped it up and added it to the salad.   It just goes on and on...It's still crisp and delicious today.  I know this because I just had a little bowl for lunch.

Variations:
Bolthouse salsa ranch dressing with tortilla chips and chopped tomatoes and shredded cheddar.
Ranch dressing with chopped tomatoes, and bacon for a BLT.
Poppy seed with chopped apples or pears, feta cheese and craisins.

I'll stop now... there are many variations and of course, you could shred your own carrots and cabbage, leave out the kale (not sure why you would though), make it Greek, make jar salads to take to work for lunch, etc.

Enjoy!  Now chop chop!

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

That IS pretty! Another great recipe from The Lady in the Stone House!!!