Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wingback Chairs Revamp

In between Pinterest and blogs I kept seeing chairs reupholstered using canvas drop cloth.  I liked what I saw but knew that I am not an upholstery expert.  So, there were some steps in this project that I would have to delegate.  I got some dusty rose wing back chairs from my folk's basement.  I purchased the drop cloth from Lowes for under $28.00.  Each chair needed about 5 yards.  Ten yards of any decorator fabric adds up very quickly, so the painter's drop cloth was a great deal.
Then following hints and instructions from Pinterest I took the drop cloth to the laundromat and washed it using laundry detergent, bleach and hot water.  I used fabric softener sheets in the dryer.  
Many, many dryer sheets.  I didn't wash it at home because it was huge.
Hubby spray painted the legs black.  He's better than me with spray paint.  He sprayed outside but we took them inside to dry.
I ordered my stencil from esty.  It came from Seattle.  I knew I wanted a fleur de lis with a wreath design.  I went to etsy and searched and found one that also had a crown.  We have some crowns in the artwork in the master bedroom so I liked the tie in to the art. 
At this point my upholstery guy was brought in, I showed Gerrit what I wanted to do and he cut the pieces that I needed to stencil.  Within hours he had the pieces back to me.
I purchased a small bottle of black paint for fabric.  I had a stencil brush from the 80's and got it out along with a sponge brush.  I used the stencil brush and used the same technique as when I had stenciled on walls 25 years ago.  Less is best when you stencil.  I dip the brush in the fabric paint and then wipe most of it off before I dab it on the stencil.  I used double stick tape to keep the stencil in place.  And I measured over and over since I had two chairs and wanted them evensteven.
I went over the stencil several times.  I used very little paint.  I think I had two quarter sized blobs of paint and used about half of it.
Tonight we picked up our chairs from Gerrit and moved them into the master bedroom.
The fabric looks great, it has some texture and is a creamy color.  

I love the stencil and Gerrit got it evensteven on the chairs.  He had enough fabric left for a ottoman.  That's fortuitous as Hubby and I found one at the thrift store with the same legs as  the chairs a few months ago.  It's getting prepped as I post.  Thanks Hubby!
My pictures make the chairs look a bit more white than they are in real life.
I just love finished projects!

6 comments:

Les Hon said...

What a successful completion! Those chairs are perfect...

You did it again!

Merri Jo said...

Your chairs look fabulous---your stencil was such a great idea & turned out perfectly!

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

LOVE the chairs! I'm a big fan of drop clothes too... in fact I've made several projects using them including my bedroom curtains. Next up is a dust ruffle for my bed and recovering some of my dining room chairs!

~Chris

Holly said...

You are so amazing Tami! When you want something done you just "do it" with no hesitation!
The chairs look fabulous!! Can't wait to see the ottoman. I've had one sitting in my room for over a year waiting for me to slipcover it, and now I think I should wait to see how yours turns out!

Melinda said...

Looks like a perfect chair for the Queen of the Stone House. :)

Janice said...

Okay - how much did Gerrit charge to do the chairs! I have 2 wingback chairs that recline and I LOVE them. But they are from 1995 and are VERY tired! This would be an awesome idea!!