Not much happening here at the Stone House lately. Max has exams and I don't feel he is studying enough, Hubby and I are working and Hawley has become a house dog. I'm not sure how that happened but since the snow Hawley has moved into the house.
Since my fall I haven't been walking or going to boot camp. It is weird how cranky that makes me! I thought a break from boot camp would be great but it's NOT. I'm twitchy to run. I am using my free weights and trying to be patient in the meantime. I did see MY doctor on Friday and had X-rays, nothing is broken but my bone is bruised and I am watching for blood clots. Cuz all I need is to have a stroke, for the love of pete. Anyway, so I'm at the doctor and she commented that my leg muscles are incredible! I was thrilled, thanks Robb! But my leg still hurts...
I've done some decorating for Valentine's Day, at home and at the museum. I'm starting to think about LOVE WEEK. I will be making Cherry Bing Bars and trying out a new cheesecake recipe.
I baked these bars over the weekend. There are no photos of the finished bars, they are gone. I served them with coffee ice cream for dessert. Sort of an amped up brownie sundae.
Be careful not to overbake...I did, overbake. So, they had to eaten quickly. If you don't like coffee, don't even try this recipe. *I used Starbuck's Via for the espresso powder.
The best part of making this new recipe was that I got to use my new cutting board for the almonds. Hubby gave me two of these for Christmas and I love them! Chop, and then roll and pour the almonds into the mixer, the onions into the hamburger, the tomato into the salad. I haven't taken out my other cutting boards since I got these for Christmas.
Almond Mocha Cookie Bars
Cookie Base:
1 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup Crisco all-vegetable shortening (or 2/3
Crisco Stick)
2 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso coffee powder*
1 tablespoon cold coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (6-ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon cold coffee
1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur (or cold coffee) -- optional
Heat oven to 350'. Grease 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Place cooling rack on countertop. For cookie base, spread almonds on baking sheet; bake at 350' for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring several times. Cool completely. Chop coarsely. Place brown sugar, shortening, coffee powder, coffee, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs; beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to shortening mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in small chocolate chips and reserved almonds. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350' for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Do not overbake. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in. bars. For glaze, combine confectioners sugar, coffee and coffee liqueur, if desired, in a small bowl. Stir until well blended. Add additional coffee, a little at a time, if icing is too thick, or add additional confectioners sugar if icing is too thin. Drizzle glaze over bars.
Source: "Crisco Cookies for a Year of Celebrations"
Yield: "3 dozen bars"
1 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup Crisco all-vegetable shortening (or 2/3
Crisco Stick)
2 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso coffee powder*
1 tablespoon cold coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (6-ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon cold coffee
1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur (or cold coffee) -- optional
Heat oven to 350'. Grease 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Place cooling rack on countertop. For cookie base, spread almonds on baking sheet; bake at 350' for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring several times. Cool completely. Chop coarsely. Place brown sugar, shortening, coffee powder, coffee, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs; beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to shortening mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in small chocolate chips and reserved almonds. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350' for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Do not overbake. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in. bars. For glaze, combine confectioners sugar, coffee and coffee liqueur, if desired, in a small bowl. Stir until well blended. Add additional coffee, a little at a time, if icing is too thick, or add additional confectioners sugar if icing is too thin. Drizzle glaze over bars.
Source: "Crisco Cookies for a Year of Celebrations"
Yield: "3 dozen bars"
4 comments:
I had to "drive" through your blog really fast so I couldn't see the details of that amazing recipe!!!!!!! Why do we crave that stuff??? I'm having a love affair with grape kool-aid...seriously, I can't live with out it!!!!! Why don't I want prune juice??? a nice V-8??? And then there's the salt??? I did go for the popcorn instead of the chips, but really, with all that butter what difference does it make??
Hope your leg heals quicklier...and I'd love to do the scrap thing!! Maybe I'll finish last years Dec. daily??
A bone bruise...AHA! That hurts and is slow to heal...
Congrats on getting your leg muscles noticed...suh-weet!!
I'm impressed that you miss bootcamp...wish I would get to the point where I missed exercise. Usually, exercise misses me.
Awesome looking new recipe! I will have to try them! Love your little Valentine decor' I must get on that! Hope your foot gets better - quickly! I took a "break" from excercising 5 years ago - haven't gone back!! :( It's good you miss it!!:)
We miss you at Boot Camp....heal fast and come back soon.
Post a Comment