Thursday, April 22, 2010

Functionality or Charm

What to do? What to do? Our home was built in the mid twenties. It is a stone house with metal, single pane windows. The windows give the house a certain look. The windows are very energy inefficient. Drafty, if you will. Hubby repairs and babies them along.

That said, I LoVe them. Charm and all, you know.

They swing open and pictured below is Hawley's treat window, or taptaptap, "IleftbutI forgotsomethingcanyougetformemom?" window. We use this swinging window daily.

I pulled up the shade in our bedroom this morning and there in my sweet poppy patch is the first one, a lone poppy! She is very pretty with the black grids. I'd miss that.

That said, when I snap up the shade the window is foggy, wet and steamed up. Not so nice.

Here is the problem, finally, getting to the issue here. The original windows were a dark bronze color. Over the years the outside grids were painted white and the inside grids were painted black. Vinyl window don't come that way. If we get black on the outside the house trim will need to be changed. I don't want to give up the black or dark grid on the inside. They don't come with black on the inside of the window. I love that look.


Hubby and I like to restore back to the original look if possible. We are collecting bids and ideas. What do you think? Remember, we aren't made of money, we want charm, we like the casement style so they swing open and then there's the addition. If we add a new master bedroom and bathroom it gets even more complicated. The window size then has to meet code. I don't want huge windows because the rest of the house doesn't have huge windows.

Many of you come to the blog and are easily entertained for a few minutes in the morning. Well, that party is over! Get on your thinking caps and help me!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

This is too much for me. I'm going back to bed.

Les Hon said...

Kelly -- you made me laugh out loud! I concur!

But I will add this comment: I LOVE YOUR WINDOWS, TAMI!!

What if you went to windows that you could clad the outside, and paint the inside? Is there such a thing???

I just think the look is worth preserving...somehow!! What a dilemma for you!!

jkluginbill said...

Wow! This is a lot of work. I'm not sure my thinking cap works that hard.

I, too, love your windows! I like Leslie's idea...can you do that? Paint the insides? huh?

Forget the addition just get a tent. :) Was that helpful?

Good luck!

shelly said...

There are some amazing metal windows out there...kinda spendy though. We looked at them for the cabin - they also come in a beautiful bronze color...we chose not to use them because it wasn't our primary residence - if this is your "forever house" I would seriously consider looking into getting them if I was you.
Love,
S~
otherwise know as the girl who decides to go with inexpensive vinly windows ;)

The Urban Cowboy said...

I don't think I'll be much help here. Just thought I'd stop by and say "Howdy"! Oh yea, your place looks amazing, hopefully you will find something that will retain the look it has now.

Holly said...

That is overwhelming!!!


You must not be too stressed or you would have mentioned it at the game!!!

I'll help with paint colors!!

Katie said...

LOL, thinking Cap on! But wait, how do I turn it on??? ;)
Okay, here goes my opinion....I think that you bought your old stone house b/c you probably fell in love with it's charm and how it was built. I think it will probably be harder to preserve, but I say go with it and the open windows are awesome!

shelly said...

K...I thought about it on vacation. I think mayyybee you should keep the old windows and order some custom made storm windows to keep away the winter chill.