Sunday, December 20, 2015

And It's Okay

 This Christmas will be different.  December was different this year as we began the month planning my Dad's funeral.  We won't celebrate Christmas where I grew up because my folks moved to town in May.  Danny came home to be with family in early December and to celebrate his Grandpa's life so he won't be home for Christmas.   And it's okay.

I didn't put up all of my Christmas decorations this year, time and motivation were factors.
And it's okay.
 I  didn't get my Eddie Bauer snow globe collection displayed this year.  The stockings aren't hung, the Santa pictures of the guys are not hanging in the hall.  There is no garland on the stair case. The Hallmark Merry Miniatures are still in the attic.
And it's okay.
 Not all of the shiney brites are on the tree.  I find myself focusing on the ones that are on the tree and really enjoying them. Taking pictures of the tree and seeing what's on instead of focusing on what is not.  
And it's okay.
I didn't follow any lists from the kids this year.  I just listened for hints and thought about what they maybe needed and didn't even know they needed it.  Yesterday, I wrapped gifts and had time to enjoy the process, choosing paper, ribbons and tags with some thought.  No homemade gifts this year.
And it's okay.
 Last night Hubby and I should have been in town running errands, finishing shopping and loading up at Costco.  Instead, we slowed down, we sat in the sitting room and enjoyed the lights, each other and a cocktail.
And it's okay.
Sometimes the less, the slower pace, accepting the different, the just okay, is fine.
It's given me time to slow down, and to be present for what is right in front of me, my family, our home, my Mom's grief and for the Christ in Christmas.
And it's okay.

No comments: