Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Wedding Closet

On Monday afternoon my sisters and I met at our parents' home.  Our Mom has been telling us to clean out the  wedding closet  for a long time.  We kept ignoring her, but we started to think that she really meant it this time.  Threats were made that every thing would be given away.  There is talk of a possible move to town for my folks.  Not in the immediate future but someday.
 
The wedding closet was always so great because it was packed with wedding dresses, JSB dresses, prom dresses, and many, many bridesmaid dresses.  Oh my, did we have fun reminiscing and laughing.  So many memories of good times and special occasions. 
Though not everyone got a fairy tale ending or a happily ever after.  Some of the weddings we were bridesmaids for ended in divorce or death.
 
 Jodi's dress from Arie and Alice's wedding had dyed to match mules and gloves.  Stunning in a classic sheath style with shoulder bows.  I should have gotten a close up of the shoes, they are really pretty.
 My senior year JSB dress was a Gunne Sax dress that I bought at the Nordstrom Place Two in downtown Bellingham. It opened that year.   It was a pretty big deal first of all to have a dress that wasn't homemade and secondly a dress from Nordstrom.  Exciting stuff for this small town girl!   I used my own money that I made working at the Lynden Library as a page.
 Kathi was in a lot of weddings.  So many weddings that she can't remember in whose wedding she wore this lovely blue dress.  Obviously, it was either hot or very stressful as there were perspiration stains.  Actually most of the blue dresses got tossed for that reason, they just didn't age well.
 If you recognize the dress, give us a shout.  We're curious.

 Dyed to match shoes in every color and size were in the closet.
 We put on our veils,  Yeah, the dresses don't fit.  Some of the dresses I took home are tiny.  Sadly, at the time I thought I was fat.  I'd love to be "that fat" again!
Three generations of wedding dresses were in the wedding closet. Both of our Grandmas' wedding dresses were stored there.  Some things went into Mom's cedar chest.  We each took home a sister's bride maid dress from our own weddings.  I mentioned getting rid of some the dresses.  I was told not under any circumstances because my granddaughters will love to play dress up at my house some day.
So now, I have to start a wedding closet at my house.  Seriously.


3 comments:

Holly said...

This is so delightful! What fun!!! And do save those dressed!! My cousins and I spent HOURS playing dress-up in my grandma's prom dresses and cheer outfits. One of my cousins and her friends actually wore her dresses to one of their proms, 45 years later. You just never know!!

Janice said...

Yes my BFF Kathi is wearing the lovely blue dress from our wedfing -29 years ago Feb 21st! She looked like a tall thin beautiful Barbie doll! Showed up the bride!

Janice said...

Yes my BFF Kathi is wearing the lovely blue dress from our wedfing -29 years ago Feb 21st! She looked like a tall thin beautiful Barbie doll! Showed up the bride!