When Shelly and I went to the Island Chicks this Spring we spotted some pretty little cloches. We realized they were made from stemmed wine glasses and vintage earrings. At ten bucks a pop we naively chuckled and said we'd make our own.
I found vintage earrings at a garage sale. They let me fill a sandwich bag with earring for five bucks. Then I went to the thrift store and looked for 49 cent glasses. I watched several many you tube videos on how to cut glass and got busy. Hubby was gone and I thought I'd craft a dozen in an evening.
It's not as easy as you may think and honestly I should have bought the cloches at the show.
Hubby came home and I had nothing to show him for my evening's work. Nada.
The next night he helped me and we enjoyed some success with a blow torch.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. No one warned me so I went ahead, foolishly, I might add and used a blow torch and ice water with mixed results.
Anywhoo, I had to share my results.
I made cloches for my sisters for Mother's Day. I used fairly large wine glasses, pearl and glass vintage earrings and saucers with a silver design. I put their gift under the cloche. and tied a ribbon at the top. Very pretty!
I made a few more for fun. I'd probably make more but Hubby and I are lucky that our kitchen is still standing and that we still have our eyesight. It's probably best to leave well enough alone.
Oh, and do me a favor and refrain from leaving me comments about how to cut glass with string, nail polish remover and fire, or how to cut glass by scoring it or ... I know, I know, I know and those methods do not work on stemware. Trust me on this one.
1 comment:
They turned out to be lovely, despite the grief they caused! I was wondering what happened when I didn't see them in the Mother's Day post...
Good thing you didn't have to pay yourself by the hour for these creations...Then you really SHOULD have bought the $10 ones, right?!
:)
Post a Comment